Please comment on this post after your second or third day as an intern, but not later than July 8. If your internship is not scheduled to start by July 5, please e-mail a reminder of this fact to me at becki.oloughlin@apsva.us
Write a short summary of your first impressions of your internship. React to the work environment, your mentor, your co-workers, and the tasks assigned to you. Discuss ways in which the internship has and has not met your expectations so far.
Don't forget to come back and read your fellow interns' posts throughout the week and comment on at least two of them. Remember to keep your comments positive and supportive. You should do this (read and comment) even if you will not start your internship until after July 8. Be sure to check back for questions other interns may have asked of you.
Both Doctor Marie Schrum-Brady and her assistant are extremely informative and approachable. I was a little nervous on my first day, but they both made me feel very comfortable. I have to admit some of the internship can get pretty dull. However, thanks to Mr. Egenrieder, I brought a book and was able to entertain myself. My mentor is very smart and can really reflect on her experiences. She not only shares what she has been through, both the good and the bad, but also introduces me to other people in her field showing more options which included a physical therapist and a massage therapist. So far it has definitely exceeded my expectations. Even though there is a lot of confidentiality, I still am able to interact a little with the patients including seeing an IV drip. The doctor showed me the ins and outs of her business and wants to make sure I am able to do many common tasks in her office including faxing and using a credit card machine. Up until now, it has exceeded my expectations as I feel I have gotten a very helpful insight into the field of medicine.
ReplyDeleteMr. karantonis is the kind of boss i would want for any job. at first i was nervous but as the day went by i got more and more comfortable with my work and work space. this internship has past my expectations. I thought i was gonna be stuck in a cubicle but Mr. Karantonis gave me a large office where i can easily be more comfortable in while i do my work. I am getting more and more used to working with my coworkers and Mr. Karantonis. I am getting a helpful insight to how the buildings and apartments around Arlington work.
ReplyDeleteMr.Fleming is both a helpful, kind resource and an excellent guide into a field of work I am interested in studying. Working in the bureau of Indian Affairs, office of federal acknowledgement I have been able to interact with historians, anthropologists, and genealogists. I have been doing research on Native American tribes whose petitions for federal recognition have been rejected. On my second day I have already learned so much about the process of recognizing Native American tribes and distributing funds and grants. It was slightly intimidating on the first day walking into a government building and meeting my mentor, but I was greeted by friendly, willing, and informative people who are all passionate about Native American culture and history. I look forward to continuing my research and I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to do meaningful work. It has surpassed my expectations as I never presumed I would be researching or allowed to look at letters and documents archived from Native American people. I have already gained a greater sense of the interactions between the government and the tribes and I hope to continue to learn and grow throughout the experience.
ReplyDeleteMs. Woo and Mrs. McGann are my two supervisors during the time of my internship. Mrs. McGann is out of town until next week so I have not had the chance to work with her yet. However, Ms. Woo is friendly, very helpful, resourceful and available to answer any of my lingering questions. Working an at NGO which does development work, there is not much to do unless it is time to write a proposal. Therefore, Ms. Woo gave me the assignment of working on the consultant data base. It turns out that she and I will be working on it together during my internship.
ReplyDeleteThe first day, in fact within the first hour, Ms. Woo explained how to enter contacts into the data base. I have started to work on that, filling out basic information while reading all consultants' resumes to fill out any other information. Some of their contacts are high officials in the federal governments of foreign countries and reading about their work and how they have impacted the course of international affairs is both fascinating and inspiring. Ms. Woo also taught me how to use the phones, transfer calls and take messages during the instances when she is too busy to do so.
The first day I also met half of the staff, all of them interesting and friendly. Following Mr. Egenrieder's advice, I have been keeping all of the staff member's names in a notebook along with some attributes of their personality which allow me to remember their names. I was a little bit nervous when I walked in to the office but as soon as I was settled at my desk, everything began to run smoothly.
Today was my second day. I met one of the Senior Staff who discussed the different aspects of development work with me and gave a few suggestions on which classes in college I should take to further my understanding of development work in regards to rule of law and its other implications. Ms. Woo also gave me a draft of one of their proposals to read which was very interesting and insightful. The Senior Staff member who I mentioned earlier also gave me some of other government documents to read and informed me that we would discuss them later when I was done with my reading.
The internship has surpassed my expectations. I am so glad to be part of an organization which can use me in such a manner and can also teach me about the different aspects of development work. I have learned a lot about drafting proposals in the first two days and cannot wait to learn more about them as the days go by. I am grateful for this opportunity to learn more about development work through a Rule of Law NGO and be able to learn more about proposal writing and different federal organization such as the Department of State and USAID during my internship.
Well, my work environment is very, very comfortable for me because it is stationed at the Arlington Career Center (ACC), which has basically been like a second home to me for the past two years. I took TV Production 1 and 2 at the ACC the last two years and my TV class is located just down the hall from where my internship is. My TV teachers Mr. O'day and Ms. Krueger are currently teaching a summer TV class to students, so I can see them wherever I want. I already knew my mentor from doing previous video shoots and editing videos with him. My mentor is a really nice guy and so are my co-workers. So far all they've had me do is edit some videos on Final Cut Pro because I have barely used it before so they just wanted me to get to know the program. But Final Cut is just like Adobe Premiere Pro, which is another editing program that I'm experienced with so the transition isn't too hard. So far I have been doing what I expected I'd be doing, and soon I am going to be going out and shooting some videos with my mentor or on my own. I don't think there are any ways that my internship has not met my expectation so far because it has all been pretty good so far.
ReplyDeleteI love the way the five of you have "jumped in with both feet" and are demonstrating great enthusiasm at your internships. Way to go! The respect with which you treat your mentors will come back to you, I guarantee it. I also liked Anne's suggestion about jotting done personality traits to help recall people's names.
ReplyDeleteMy work environment is very comfortable. Everyone here is so nice. It's a very casual work place. Working at Signature Theater is teaching me not only about acting and directing work but is also showing me how a theater is run. I am also learning important and useful office skills that I know I can use in the future. I have two supervisors, Mr. Zobell and Ms. Hooper. They are both very warm and make me feel comfortable. On my first day I was extremely nervous but Ms. Hooper came and greeted me and automatically made me feel welcome. She even gave me a tour of the building, including backstage. Yesterday I sat in on a workshop that Mr. Zobell was teaching. He was teaching acting skills to kids my age so it was very interesting to watch. I learned so much in just two hours and took about three pages of notes. I am enjoying the work I am doing so far. I've mainly been working on the computer doing things for the Stage One camp next door. Although it was a little slow going at first, I've already learned so much and I know that I am going to keep learning new things everyday.
ReplyDeleteMy work environment is very comfortable and busy. There's always something to be done, so I never have a dull moment. My mentor, Ms Lauren Sheehan, is very welcoming so I feel right at home when working at Columbia Associates in Psychiatry. Not only Lauren is welcoming, but my fellow coworkers are kind and very relaxed. They are open for me to ask questions and are calm when giving directions. Through working at Columbia Associates, I found myself working less on psychiatry but more on general office work. Such work like filing papers, retrieving charts, and other tasks related to paper work. Though it wasn't what I initially expected, I enjoy it very much. As with today and onward, I look forward to being helpful to my workplace and coworkers as well as gaining the experience that will carry me on throughout life.
ReplyDeleteToday was my first day of the internship and I think it went really well! I went through all of the rules and regulations and everything that I need to know it order to work during the morning, and in the afternoon I was able to interact in person with the residents that are at the assisted living home that I'm working with. I took the residents for walks, talked to them, and played games with them! My boss and all my co-workers are really friendly and helpful, and I think that I'll really enjoy doing this internship!
ReplyDeleteSo far, what I have been doing is getting to know the "residents" at the Jefferson by helping out in the alzheimers/ dimentia area. (Doing activities with them to help stimulate their mind). I have access to every one of the resident's information which can help me find activities they might like. Today, I was looking through a book with one of the people and they enjoyed all the pictures and would put they're hand over it as if to feel whatever the picture was, which I found very interesting. I think that this person enjoyed traveling and looking at pictures according to their information. Playing trivia games with them allowed me to realize and identify that there are different stages to memory loss and realize that they still have a lot of retained information. It is all very interesting and mind-boggling. Everyone I work with have positive and reassuring attitudes and are very helpful when assisting the elderly although there are problems with communication becuase some of the residents do not talk. The only thing that I would like to help out with more or observe is actual medical check-ups and assistance in the health care department: physicals, evaluation, and diagnosis. However, I have enjoyed what I am doing and expect that as I gain familiarity to the area and residents, I will have more access to the residents and be able to further understand their perception on life.
ReplyDeleteAs i walked into the office for my first day at Congressman Jim Moran's Office in Old Town, I was expecting many people working in cubicles beside each other. To my surprise, I only have 2 coworkers and we each have our own room. My direct boss is Jim Moran's daughter Mary. She's really nice and really funny and we discovered we actually live on the same street so she drives me home every day from work. Tommy is a 25 year old intern-turned full time worker. Hes very helpful and looks out for me as I adjust to the new job. The work i do is actually very challenging. I think the hardest part is staying focused. I work 9:30-5 and I get a 25 minute break every day. Besides for my lunch break I'm working every other second, so its important for me to not tire and finish things in their entirety. I think its a good experience for me to be working the way I am, I had never worked on one project for 3 days straight so this internship will help me learn how to handle projects that require a long duration of time before they are finished. By policy of Jim Moran's Campaign, I am not allowed to specify specific details of the work I do. However, I can say the work I do is mainly researching on the computer, organizing and classifying,and updating things from last year when he was running for congress that have changed from this year.
ReplyDeleteSo far, my internship has been going very well. I like working with residents in both the physical therapy and nursing departments at The Goodwin Nursing Home at Baileys Crossroads. The one thing that I really like about my internship is that the residents and staff are very friendly to me and they tell me that I am doing a good job. The one tough thing that I face when doing my internship is talking to residents who are very sad and losing their memory. So far, I have learned a lot, have been very busy, and have been coming home very tired every day. I really like working with the physical therapists and observing what it will be like because I want to be a physical therapist when I grow up.
ReplyDeleteWorking with Dr. Pearl has been a very interesting experience so far. Dr. Pearl is really nice and welcoming. It's really easy to talk to him and ask him questions. His office is fairly small, so it's a very comfortable work environment. The staff are also welcoming and helpful. Although it's a small office we have many patients coming through and Dr. Pearl always keeps me busy. I have worked on updating patient's notes, confirming patient's appointments, taking medical histories, scanning x-rays, ordering supplies, organizing medical supplies and even helping edit Dr. Pearl's articles for his blog. He really values my input. Although I am kept busy, Dr. Pearl is very generous in providing learning experiences. He has let me talk to patients and even observe a minor surgery. I did expect a lot of work, but I did not expect the variety of tasks I would be dealt with. I'm learning a lot.
ReplyDeleteMaria-Helena, your work sounds very interesting, fascinating and enlightening. I think what you are doing thus far is wonderful. Getting to know the residents will allow you to hopefully become closer to them and be able to help them more as the days go by. I am sure as the days go by, you will be able to help with the other aspects at Jefferson. Just be patient and you'll hopefully get there eventually.
ReplyDeleteGrace, I find it very wonderful that you are learning so much from your internship seeing as we have only been working for a few days. The amount of notes you took is impressive and I am sure you will be able to reflect on those, too, and learn more. The balance between the office work you have and the classes you are able to sit in on sounds refreshing and like a lovely way to spend your time. I hope you are able to learn more throughout your internship and apply what you have learned to your own aspiring career of drama, theatre, etc.
Again, I wish you both the best.
My internship isn't quite what I expected. It's still interesting, but I feel more like a file clerk intern then a doctors. I've basically been organizing files, putting bills in envelopes, and cleaning up old file cabinets. I've begun to learn a lot about getting things done in a reasonable amount of time, as well as being responsible when it comes to being a self starter. I really enjoy the people I've been working with, all the doctors and secretaries are extremely nice and welcoming.
ReplyDelete(Even though it's actually my second week)
ReplyDeleteMy first impressions of my internship were pretty satisfying. To be quite honest, I had no idea what to expect the very first day, but it turned out great. Even though it's not the biggest state-of-the-art facility, my work environment is more than adequate to give a basis to learn what I had intended. My mentor and co-workers are really easy to talk to and provide a lot of supervision for the tasks I do. I’ve begun to get really settled into my office and started recognizing frequent patient’s names and faces. As for the tasks I’ve been assigned, I’ve done everything from being a front desk personnel (answering the phone, check-in patients, fax, and organize files), a clinician (doing basic physicals [vitals, blood pressure, EKG…], labs with blood and urine, handling medical records and research), to a financial accountant (taking inventory, ordering supplies, auditing financial records, and balancing checks), etc.
My internship has met my expectations in that, it did somewhat shed light on most aspects of working in the medical field. I’m also being immersed with massive amounts of information, to the point that my mentor once pulled me into a room with a patient and allowed me to improvise what I thought I had to do. (He almost gave me a syringe and left me with it, until a co-worker came in to save me) As for how my internship has not met my expectations? I actually skipped a lot of the basics and went directly to work! (Not that I’m complaining or anything…)
Ok, so my internship has proven to much simpler than I had expected, although I will admit that I wasn't sure what to expect. For all intent and purpose, i have only one coworker, and the two of us are relatively free to work at our own pace (Results matter more than process, I was told). With that in mind, i am actually moving faster on my current build than I have on similar projects in different environments- I'm free to focus, so to speak. It is also much more casual that I would've expected- I am free to enter Jeff's class and help out if works starts to slow down- Dress is on average maybe two tiers less casual than button-ups and khakis. I'm enjoying the process.
ReplyDeletePaul Gulley- I'm surprised to see how much contrast there is from your internship is to mine. In comparison to your work environment, Columbia Associates doesn't have much work space or places to go. Also, me and my coworkers don't have many options of tasks but our tasks are very time consuming. I wouldn't say that I'm not as free, but much more focused on one task. Also, I notice that it's very casual work environment wherever any other intern is. Would this be a common work environment? I digress.
ReplyDeleteVictoria- I find your work environment very exciting. Rather than working in a backroomand filing papers you're actually observing doctors with their work. Granted this may be a nuisance for psychiatric patiants, but still I'm jealous of experiences. Other than that, you get to see and interact with the patients which adds to my envy.
Michele Lauer- I feel the same way sometimes about my internship. Pulling out and filing charts can get very boring, but as my mentor put it being a doctor is not only a service but also a business. So it's you are still doing important tasks that help make their "business" run.
ReplyDeleteRourke- Your internship seems very interesting. It's especially cool because we are at an age where we can almost vote. You will have the background experience in politics and campaign work that can help your peers get out and vote in the next presidential election.
Peter L- Your internship sounds amazing. I completely agree with you when it comes to not knowing what to expect the first day. I envy you however, due to the interaction you have with legitimate work. It sounds like a fabulous experience!
ReplyDeleteRourke D- Your internship also sounds like an fabulous experience. Although it may be hard to not get tired, it's neat that you're working so hard, in such an intense fashion.
So far my internship experience has been great. The people are very welcoming and very helpful. As my first impression, I was actually shocked. I thought since I was going to be working at the zoo that I would be working with big mammals. I had not even thought about the experience of working at the Invertebrate Exhibit, which has aquatic animals instead and working here has opened my eyes to many more career fields. Mrs. Tamsen, my mentor, is very kind and gives me a lot helpful insight. My co-workers have made my work experience very enjoyable. They help me if I have questions and allowed me to feel comfortable in their work environment. They showed me how things works and made it easy for me to understand. The work space is very wide and open and there is a lot of room to move around. I have done many tasks so far such as feeding animals, preparing their food, helped with new shipments of animals and moving things around. I have also been able to interact with the visitors that come to the zoo, which has been great too!
ReplyDeleteMy experience here so far has surpassed my expectations and has been a lot of fun. I have also gained a few skills that I can carry over to everyday life, outside of the work place. Overall, it has been wonderful and I am very excited to continue working here over these next weeks.
Tuesday was quick for me, just an introduction.
ReplyDeleteWednesday I went to the retirement ceremony of a three star general with the ceremonial band of the us army band. I rode the bus with them learned about what they do.
Thursday was very interesting. In the morning I helped out in the library, mostly producing copies of the music and putting them in the correct folders. I had no idea there was this much work involved with that (I have a new respect for my orchestra conductors). Later I attended a concert with the Jazz band. I help out the sound crew (where I could, some of it's pretty technical) and learned about basic acoustics and got to take a look at the control board (the thing you always see on tv).
Today I had my first lesson with my guitar mentor, we learned about the different modes on the guitar, very useful for improvisation etc and was very interesting for as I don't normally learn these things on the violin. There was supposed to be a concert today at the Capitol but it was rained out.
So far the internship has been interesting and informative, everyone has been friendly and helpful.
So far my internship is really fun and more then I expected.Everyone in the bakery is very welcoming and really make me feel welcomed. In the kitchen/bakery almost everyone speaks Spanish except a few so a lot of the time I have no idea what they are talking about and there is just a lot of head nodding. The head Pastry Chef, Fernando is really helpful and is teaching a lot of new skills. On the first day I rolled out and made cookies and as the week progressed I started making/decorated cakes and cupcakes and doing orders. I am really enjoying this Internship not only am I learning about what it takes to be a Pastry chef but I am also learning about the business side of it and am able to work up front with the costumers. Another bonus of this internship is being able to try all the amazing Pastries and cakes we make!
ReplyDeleteThe internship has gone far behind meeting my expectations. Starting this internship I thought I was only going to be observing the Pastry chef's and seeing how they make everything but everything is hands on and I am right there next to them working beside them. It's a great learning experience and I am I am really looking forward to next week.
I am thrilled with the maturity and enthusiasm demonstrated here! You are all doing yourselves, me, and the PRIME program proud.
ReplyDeletePeter L- Your internship sounds pretty nice, it seems like you're pretty happy with what you are doing right now.
ReplyDeleteFolami- Your internship sounds wonderful, I have always kind of wanted to work with animals.
My internship began on the 7th, so I was going to post on Monday, after three days of work, but I think I have enough to post now. My internship is extremely interesting, and I feel very comfortable there. It has only been two days for me, but already I was allowed to handle one of the service-dogs-in-training by myself, while being coached and taught by my mentor. We worked on service commands such as TUG, LEAVE IT, and FIX, all of which are rather complicated commands for a dog to figure out. This makes it all the more fun and rewarding to see the dog succeed. I am also learning quite a bit about dog training and dog psychology in general, which I had really hoped I would get out of this. I find the work to be rewarding, fun, and extraordinarily interesting. My only hope is that it continues to be this wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThuy Vuong- While I am given many opportunities to interact with patients and observe medical procedures, I am also tasked with a lot of paperwork.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Michelle Lauer when she talks about paper work being essential to any sort of business. Paperwork may not be that exciting, but in the words of Mr. Egenrieder it is "the work that needs to be done."
Anne- It sounds like you're really enjoying the your internship! It's great that you listened to Mrs. Egenrieder's advice are really using it to benefit you. It's very cool how you are learning so much about Developmental work through the NGO. I'm sure this internship will open up a bunch of opportunities for you in that field.
ReplyDeleteAdrianna- That's really cool that you are learning the ins and outs of the business and were able to watch an IV drip. Sounds like you really care about the work you are doing and are working hard!
Honesty, I didn’t know what to expect from this internship. Since I didn’t really have a clear idea about what I wanted to do I hoped to get lucky and intern somewhere that I would like. I was nervous my first day and wasn’t sure what to expect from the other people who would be working with me in the office. However I was pleasantly surprised to find everyone to be very helpful and open. The whole atmosphere of the office is very comfortable and friendly. I was also very pleased to see that I got my own desk, a luxury that had originally been in question. My first task was somewhat mundane. I was given a fifty page booklet of statistics to read over. However this was necessary because that booklet and the tests behind it are what the work of the office revolves around. Once I got to talking to my co-workers about what it all meant, their passion for their work became infectious. And since some of their work is aimed at teenagers, I can offer unique insight that they wouldn’t normally have access to. This internship has exceeded my expectations. I also am learning a lot about myself and the kinds of tasks I enjoy and the kinds of tasks I don’t. A variety of tasks to are given to me to complete so that I never get bored. These have include calling people to remind them of appointments, reviewing a website aimed at teens for feedback, and brainstorming a list of do’s and don’ts for parents from a teen’s perspective. I feel that the work the Partnership for Children, Youth, and Families is relevant to the lives of teenagers and am so thrilled to be a small part of it. Although I haven’t quite been able to gain a thorough understanding of professional environments, I expect to in future through shadowing my co-workers to meetings and spending more time at the office. I am very excited for next week.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I am please to read your open-minded comments. As you continue to approach your assignments with this attitude, you will continue to benefit from everything you are asked to do.
ReplyDeleteSorry this is so late, I've been having a lot of computer problems:
ReplyDeleteMy first impression of interning at the Invertebrate House of the National Zoo was that it was very hectic and confusing. It seemed that everyone knew exactly what they were doing and that I was just in the way most of the time. Another volunteer assured me, however, that this was normal and that she felt the same way when she began working there. She said that after a few more days, I would be able to do most things by myself and it would become much less confusing. One thing that was not as I had expected is that I don't seem to have one "mentor", but instead I do whatever task any of the zookeepers need to be done at the time. They are very nice and i feel privileged to be working with them. My coworkers are also nice and approachable. The two that i met on my first day were very good at explaining what they were doing and made me feel welcome. So far, I have really enjoyed working in the Invertebrate House and I am grateful for the opportunity to do so.
I have really enjoyed my internship so far, Eric Barr and his staff have been very helpful. I've already learned so much from them and I'm sure i will learn much more. The only thing that was at times frustrating is that there is a lot of lingo that I have not yet picked up on so when doing paperwork I have to ask a lot of questions. I have begun working on the expungment list, which is court cases that were either old or dismissed which can be destroyed. It has kept me very busy and is also very interesting to read.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth W.-Sounds like your having a really great time, your internship sounds very interesting.
ReplyDeleteZoe V.G.- This sentance: "In the kitchen/bakery almost everyone speaks Spanish except a few so a lot of the time I have no idea what they are talking about and there is just a lot of head nodding." made me laugh really hard. Your internship sounds like a lot of fun and it sounds like you're exactly where you want to be.
Thuy- Working at a Psychiatric office sounds fascinating! There must always be something new to learn. That’s really great that they keep you busy at the internship. I would have thought that filling paperwork would be boring, but I guess not. Not being bored it something I feel is really important in an internship.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth W.- Working with dogs sounds like a lot of fun! I think it’s great how you seem to spend a lot of time your time walking around and being active instead of sitting at a desk. And you never know, knowing dog psychology could come in handy some day!
Finding out I had to report to my job at 7 am was not a great start however, when I arrived to the Zoo and met my co-workers, and bosses I was no longer dreading the commute every day. My bosses Mrs. DeWitt, Michael, and Donna are very nice and extremely laid back. In fact, both Michael and Donna hate when I call them Mr and Mrs because it makes them feel old. They are extremely helpful and are always helping me learn the ropes. My co-workes are also awesome as well. They are hard workers, very nice and my first day made sure I was comfortable with what I was assigned to do. There is never a shortage of work to be done at the Zoo. In the morning I take temperatures of the animals tanks, water the plants, prepare food as well as distribute it, and even switch and clean the octopus tank. To be honest this internship has been demanding but has exceeded all prior expectations.
ReplyDeleteRourke- Thats sounds so cool, working in a congressman's office sounds extremely demanding but in the end should be beneficial. That's pretty amazing you get your own room and report to non other then Jim Moran's daughter.
ReplyDeleteGrace- Working in a real theatre must be so fun. Your bosses sound kind of like mine and seem like your having a good time. Theatre is a very tedious profession but when it all comes together it can be spectacular.
Your comments about lingo and everyone else knowing what they are doing remind me of moving here from Wisconsin and taking my first class at GWU -- in federal legislation! It seemed every other word out of the professor's mouth was an acronym. I thought I'd never catch on! Now I find myself speaking in initials!
ReplyDeletePeter L - it sounds like you get to do a lot of hands on work, which is great! It must be wonderful to be getting that kind of experience.
ReplyDeleteSara B - it sounds like you got off to a good start, even if it was a little confusing. My internship is also with animals, and it tends to be a always a little hectic, and a lot of fun.
Adrianna - It's great how you were able to feel comfortable after being nervous at the beginning!
ReplyDeleteVictoria - It's awesome how you're learning so much about all of the different parts of working in a doctor's office! It's also good that Dr. Pearl seems like he'll be a good boss!
Michele Lauer- I hope you got to do more of the work you were expecting later, or at least that you enjoyed what you did instead.
ReplyDeletePeter L.- Its really cool that you got to do so many different things and that you could actually do them and not just watch or hear about them. It sounds like it was a great experience and you must have learned a lot.
Elizabeth W. - Interacting with dogs must've been really fun, at least they aren't able to incessantly give you sass time and time again. (no matter what you do)
ReplyDeleteRachel - I'll agree with you on one aspect, it took awhile to understand some of the terminology in the medical field... but gradually it just caught on and it comes out naturally.
Walking into Columbia associates (psychiatric office) and meeting my mentor, Ms. Sheehan, although I was uncertain what I was going to be assigned, I felt very welcomed by the employees. I was promptly given a tour and was given work to do. Despite the workplace hospitality, the assignments I was given surpised me in the manner that it was office work instead of following or shadowing a doctor, which is what I initially was expecting. The main work I am assigned is composed of pulling patient charts, organizing folders, and shredding papers. While I did feel somewhat useful helping around the office, I was a little disappointed that I did not get the chance to follow around the doctors. Though as I reflect it does make sense, because of patient confidentiality. Other then that my co-workers are very friendly and fun to work with.
ReplyDelete