Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Calendar Post - June 9

What was the most important thing you learned from Jim Egenrieder's talk to the interns at the meeting on June 9?  How will you use this new bit of knowledge in your life as an intern this summer? 

18 comments:

  1. One thing I learned that will definitely help me this summer is that during the internship I will need to be flexible, reliable and honest. I also learned a lot about what will be expected by the people I will be working with and how to achieve the standards that will be set for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that I should bring a book, newspaper, or something else to do incase my employer is busy and cannot work with me. This way they don't have to feel bad about leaving me with nothing to do, so I'll definitely use this advice in my intership this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most important thing I learned from Mr. Egenrieder's presentation was "to do the work that needs doing". I will be sure to apply this to my work ethic and read over any papers they want me to read beforehand so that I may understand their organization better. I will be sure to be engaged in the office and help out whenever possible. I will be sure to do to the work that needs to be done and put in a lot of effort into my internship to ensure success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving a firm handshake and being ready to interact and make connections really stood out to me in Mr. Egenrieder's presentation. Since I'm going to be working with a musicians and as a musician a lot of the internship will require that I work with others rather work on my own. When I go to my internship I will be meeting many new people each day so Mr. Egenrieder's tips in being confident and communicating (as well as making connections for the future) will probably go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned that it is best to exceed my mentor's expectations by being early and dressing a bit above standards. I also learned to actively seek out work that needs to be completed and request feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned how to interact with other employees in my workplace better. I learned that I should introduce myself to as many people as possible. Also, when I get the chance, I should ask some of the other employees what they do for the organization and how they got to where they are today. This will help me figure out what steps I need to take to move up in my field of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most important thing that I learned from Mr. Egenrieder's presentation is to "do the work that needs doing." I'll be able to apply this principal into my internship this summer because I know there will be aspects of the job that is considered boring work. There is a major confidential side to medicine that will hinder my ability to interact with patients. So at times, I will have to do a lot of mundane jobs like paperwork, but I understand that it is still an important part of the profession.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "doing what needs to be done" principle is the biggest lesson that I took from Mr. Egenrieder's presentation. I had considered already that an intern will be doing unusual tasks, but this lesson reminded me that even if the tasks are not enjoyable, it is my duty and should be my pleasure to do them. I will most likely be doing a lot of cleaning up after the dogs at my workplace and other tasks that are necessary but a little gross. Mr. Egenrieder really helped me take to heart that it is all part of the profession, and I will be learning not only how to do the job, but also to do all jobs asked of me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Information about how to act in the internship environment, and what to do on your first day was key for me. I am a little nervous to begin my internship, however this made it a little easier for me to prepare myself so I won't be. I also learned what I should expect from other people and what type of attitude I should bring in to the job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The most important thing that i learned from Jim was how to behave within the work environment, although this is only an internship, it is very important to still act professionally. I am thankful that he taught me how to act in that environment. I will think of his presentation everyday when I am working in my internship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The thing that i learned that was most important in my opinion was that it is crucial to be flexible and reliable. That shows that you take your job seriously and that you are responsible. It is also important to be professional. One of the things Jim said that was really helpful was being nice, and dressing appropriately. Dressing appropriately shows you take your job seriously, while being nice makes you friends who can help you later down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having confidence in your own abilities is the most important idea I took out of Jim Egenrieder’s presentation. This as Jim explained can be shown in the way you dress and the way you behave at your internship. At the same time I found it very helpful when Jim Egenrieder added that at the same time one has to be natural and friendly, in other words be who you really are and not some else. Tips on being reliable and responsible also helped to get myself into the correct mindstate for becoming an intern. “Chance favors the prepared mind” was helpful as I learned that it is smart to carry around a notebook to record thoughts, which I had not thought of. Taking notes and finding more about the company were things that I had previously not taken into consideration so it was good that the topics were touched upon at the meeting. Overall it was a very informative introduction on how to ensure one’s success as in intern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The thing I learned from Jim that was most important to me was to bring a book in case there is no work to be done or my employer cannot work with me. Another thing I learned that stood out to me was to always show confidence, especially when first meeting the employer because first impression are everything. Also to have a nice firm hand shake which helps show them you are confident and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am happy to see that all of you paid close attention to Jim's remarks. Of course, he's easy to listen to! However, you also took away something you could apply to your lives over the next weeks. This attitude will benefit you not only during PRIME but during your collegiate and professional lives.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The piece of information I believe i will take away from his speech the most was entering your job everyday in the correct mindset. Be ready to work, be prepared for work and as well as downtime, and do things with out being asked to. i also learned to take my new job very seriously and be responsible and reliable. Oh, and the importance of a good handshake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I learned that in order to be a good intern, I have to be multipurpose, reliable, and flexible while around adults. I also have to think of myself as a lifelong worker and do the work that needs doing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jim's most important piece of advice for me was that it was an intern's job to be social, interactive, and helpful. To me this means introducing myself to others and always offereing to take on extra work. It also dictates that I be willing to learn from others that I work with as much as I can. These three guidelines pretty much sum up everything a good intern needs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although I missed the meeting, the notes I received were very helpful. I think the most helpful advice was to be flexible and reliable. I think this will help me work better and accomplish more, not only during this internship but in all areas of life.

    ReplyDelete