Today you saw at least five careers in action: city planner, leasing agent, historian, animal trainer, musician. Did you notice any common thread running through the day? Was there a career or an activity that intrigued you? Are you likely to follow up and learn more about it?
What was the most interesting part of the day? Tell me at least one new fact you learned about Arlington. Will this new knowledge have any impact on your day-to-day life?
What was the most interesting part of the day? Tell me at least one new fact you learned about Arlington. Will this new knowledge have any impact on your day-to-day life?
I noticed that all of the of the people who spoke to us weren't trained motivational speakers, they weren't preparing huge speeches to preach to us, they were regular people with their jobs all part of our community. They had important jobs with their own concerns and benefits. However, I'm not likely to pursue those careers.
ReplyDeleteThe city planner career did intrigue me, though, with the eye for technique and design of how the cities are put together. I learned how the US has shifted in its means of transportation along with our concern for our children. The didn't intrigue me as to how fascinating being a city planner is but rather how the Arlington and the United States are showing more care for our children.
The common thread I noticed throughout the day was that all the speakers were really passionate and proud about what they were doing. The city planner was intriguing to me because I like organizing and designing things.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting part of the day for me was learning more about how cities are designed and the role transportation plays in designing cities. This information has made me more aware of the benefits of public transportation and has motivated me to utilize public transportation more often.
The common thread I noticed was that it seemed like all of the speakers really liked their line of work. The military dog training was the most interesting part for me. I do love dogs and it was cool to see how they are trained. Although I found this part of the trip very cool, I probably won't try and go into a career with animals.
ReplyDeleteAs I already said, I thought the military dog training was the most interesting part of the day. However I did learn a little more about Arlington. It was interesting on what the speaker said about Shirlington and how it would need a metro stop to become as popular as Clarendon. I also had never really walked around that area of Columbia Pike before, so that was a new experience for me. He definitely made me look at cities in a new and different way.
The work all the people who talked with us were doing was unrelated, however their attitude towards their work was all the same. They were all very excited to be doing the jobs they were doing and enjoyed the tasks involved with their jobs.
ReplyDeleteThe job that most interested me was the city planner and the dog trainer. I am allergic to dogs so for me a city planner would be a more realistic choice. I enjoyed these because dogs would be good employees, and i liked the how the city planner had a vision to better our community and is following through with it. One thing i learned was that the city of arlington is a constant work in progress and people are always trying to make it better.
I noticed the same thing grace and victoria about how passionate the people were about their work!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your attention to the "undercurrents" of not only what was said, but how it was said!
ReplyDeleteI also was struck by how passionate the speakers were about their jobs. I noticed how they all had a fond expression when they talked about what they do on a daily basis.
ReplyDeleteI am very interested in the idea of a career as a dog trainer, especially a service or working dog trainer, so it was very cool to see that career in action. The K-9 demonstration was consequently the most interesting part of the day for me, and I learned that the dogs get adopted after their service, which I did not know.
I saw throughout the day how knowledgeable the people were in their specific careers. All of them had a passion that made their work day seem very enjoyable. They all seemed very busy so it was very nice of them to take time out of their day to talk to us.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting part of the day was definitely the animal trainer. I didn't know the military had a k-9 unit on base. I learned a lot from the city planner how different cities are set up. It was interesting to learn that Columbia Pike is the closest neighborhood to Washington.
They all seemed to really enjoy their jobs and were happy to tell us about their profession and what their career meant. All of the speakers were very prepared and were very devoted to their jobs as well.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting part of the day was the K-9 unit. I thought it was really cool to see what the dogs went through day in and day out as well as the devotion the animal had to his handler and the handler had to his dog. It was really cool to see how well these dogs were treated and the esteem that the army holds them to.
I noticed that each of the speakers seemed as though they throughly enjoyed their jobs. They all seemed extremely proud of what they were doing, I noticed this mostly with the leasing agent. He seemed extremely proud of the apartment complex. Also the animal trainers seemed proud of their dogs. I found each of the careers intriguing, but especially the animal trainer. However, I don't feel as thought I'll follow up.
ReplyDeleteThe city planner was extremely interesting. I never even thought about how builders planed citys. I learned how poorly arlington was planned out, for example how none of the streets matched up. I'm not sure how this knowledge will impact my day-to-day life.
I think that a common trend within the careers was dedication, they all took so much time out of the regular work day to do their jobs. They were all very focused and really passionate about thier work. The animal trainer really intrigued me because it is fascinating how one animal can be so attached to one specific trainer. I don't think I will learn more about it because I don't think it would be something that I want to do with my life. I really like the whole learning about the plans for the city part of the day. I know I may be really out of the loop but I was so fascinated to know that a railcar is being installed in Arlington. I don't think it will have an impact on my life because I don't live near Columbia Pike but if I ever go there it will be easier to.
ReplyDeleteThuy-I think you make a very good point about them being motivational speakers, they were definately passionate about their careers
Adrianna- I really noticed how knowledgable people were, it made me really realize that they must've really put a lot of effort into their presentations but they did it so effortlessly.
A common thing I noticed between all of the speakers was that they all are very passionate about there careers and they have chosen to do something that they care about and want to make a difference in.
ReplyDeleteMy two favorite parts of the day were seeing the animal trainer and musician. I play clarinet in the Washington Lee marching band/symphonic band and have been playing clarinet since 4th grade. Music is a very important part in my life and I have considered making it career.
Another thing that really interested me was the animal trainer. You could really tell that the animal trainers were very compassionate about there jobs. They love what they do and even though all of them have been bit by there dogs at least once they still come back and do what they love. The city planner really opened my eyes to the public transportation and really inspired me to use it more. I never noticed how easy and convenient it is to use.
Rourke-I really liked your outlook on the city planners. You made some really good points on the vision to better our community
Everyone who we saw were happy with what they do and know a lot about their goals and what is expected from them. The animal trainers were most interesting because it seemed difficult to train an animal complete obedience but also the dogs seemed to have a decision making skill to protect the people they work with. It was pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteI learned that the rail car is to ensure the future of Columbia Pike because it is permanent and therefore ensures that the area it covers is there to stay because it will be more accesible to the public. The thing I enjoyed most though, was the attack dog demonstration. I now know more about Ft. Myer and Columbia Pike.
Each of the speakers we saw last Friday seemed to really enjoy their jobs and be passionate about what they do. While none of the jobs struck my interest particularly as a possible career option, at the very least, I can take away the knowledge that I should enjoy and be dedicated to what I finally decide to do.
ReplyDeleteOut of all the speakers I found the dog trainers to be most interesting. While a perfectly trained dog is always fun, they made a point to say that there was a real bond between dog and trainer, something I can appreciate as I have a cat.
It was nice to be arround people who have true passion for their careers and are willing to share that passion with students like ourselves who are undecided about what we want to do in the future. One connection that I saw with all of the speakers was the ammount of passion that each of them had for their careers. I think it shows that when you are passionate about something or find it interesting it isn't really work to you and it becomes a part of your life. I really liked hearing about the city planner, who was a very dynamic speaker and seemed to really enjoy the work that he does. It was also interesting learning about what makes cities and towns run smoothly.
ReplyDeleteI really liked seeing all of these different jobs, many of which I had never before considered. All of the people who spoke with us seemed to truly enjoy their jobs, which I was impressed with because I think that that is very important! My favorite part of the day was when we went and saw the dog demonstrations. I really liked seeing how the dogs were obedient and aggressive, and really seemed to trust their masters. I definitely have never even thought about dogs being that important of a part of the army, so it's really nice to learn more about the military in general. Overall Ft. Myer and Columbia Pike were very interseting to walk around!
ReplyDeleteOne common thread that I noticed between speakers was that each of them seemed enthusiastic about and very interested in what they did. The animal trainers intrigued me the most. It looked like a lot of fun as well as very rewarding. However the danger level of it would definitely be something that I would have to consider when looking for a future career.
ReplyDeleteI thought the most interesting part of the day was when trainers demonstrated what the dogs were trained to do. In regard to all the other things we were shown in the fort, I had no idea that so much went on in the fort. Another new thing I learned about in Arlington was the existence of the new apartments.They were really nice and when we were told how conveniently located they were, I realized that I could see myself living in one of those apartments when I got older.
I'm glad that you all picked up on the importance of passion for your career. You will get up and go to work more than 10,000 times as an adult -- hopefully, most of those days you will be smiling when you leave the house!
ReplyDeleteThe common thread that I noticed throughout the day was that, although the speakers' careers were unrelated, they all seemed very passionate about their careers. I thought that the most intriguing career was the dog trainer. I dont believe I would like to be a dog trainer, but I would like to be an animal trainer and because of that, I may want to learn more about it.
ReplyDeleteI thought that the most interesting part of the day was watching the dog trainers. I learned many new things about Arlington that I never knew because I don't live there. For example, I only knew of Clarendon as a metro stop, but now I understand that it is an interesting place with lots of things to do. I dont know if this will effect my day to day life, but I definitely have a better understanding of Arlington and it is nice to be more familiar with that area.
Although the different five careers were different, one common thread was that each one of the representatives seemed genuinely content with what they were doing. The one career that interested me the most was probably the city planner, because civil engineering would be probably be an alternative field of work I could possibly look into. The city planner took many factors into consideration, and it was interesting to see that everything that could seemingly integrate perfectly.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting part of the day would probably be looking into the apartment complex, I liked seeing everything going through the process of construction and being built from nothing into something amazing. I got a brief insight on the history of transportation, although I don't think it'll have much impact on my day-to-day life.
Thuy Vuong - I'll agree that it was interesting to see that city planning took many different factors into consideration and accommodated for the various loose ends.
ReplyDeletePretty much everyone said this... - Yes, each one of the representatives did seem very passionate about their positions and what they do for a living. I hope that one day, I will be able to find myself in the same position.
The one obvious common thread I noticed in all the careers is that all the people no matter what their career truly loved their job and enjoy going to work everyday (it seemed). They were all interested in what they do and it showed in the way they taught us about their career. Also that many of people knew that, that certain career was the one that they were going to do from the beginning. The animal trainer intrigued me quite a bit because I myself am an animal person, and I feel as though training animals (dogs in this case) would be very rewarding because it would make one feel accomplished teaching an animal or raising an animal to perform their task at an optimal level. I think it would be interesting to learn more about the training process but not to the point where I think I would like to choose this an animal trainer as a career. At least not at the moment.
ReplyDeleteThe k9 unit was the most interesting part of they day. Just to see how dogs can be trained to be like a soldier in a way and how they are treated as so. It was very cool to see how the canines only responded to commands, just to see how disciplined the dogs were and the relationship the trainer and dog have with each other. Other then the k9 unit I did learn a lot about the city planning of Arlington for example the apartment/ giant complex that had just been constructed. I don’t think it will impact me right now, but definitely in the future if im ever looking for somewhere to stay.
The one common thing that I noticed was that although all the careers that we saw were very different from each other, the people we observed doing their career really seemed to enjoy it. The leasing agent really intrigued me because I didn't know that Arlington County really had a place where they could help people find new homes and apartments. The buildng where they do the leasing really caught my attention because everything in there seemed like what you would normally have at home. I really liked the outdoor pool and the furniture in there. I found this part of the trip to be very interesting, but I probably won't do leasing management as a living.
ReplyDeleteI found the k9 unit to be the most interesting part of the day. It was neat to see how dogs can be treated like soldiers and how they respond to the commands. One interesting thing that I learned about Arlington on this trip was all the city planning that they do and how they can develop modes of transportation. This knowledge will help me determine which career would be a good fit for me and which will not.